Thursday 27 February 2014

How big should my 3 year old be?

Answer: (raise childs arms) So big!

I have found myself asking this question ever since Squiggle turned 3 in March 2013. In fact the Christmas before started the curiosity as my brother wanted to buy him a coat for Christmas and ended up buying an aged 5-6 years coat. It was a little big for him but by his 3rd birthday he had grown into it. At playgroup he towers over his friends whilst wearing his aged 5-6 clothes and size 10 shoes.

There isn't much information on the internet about what height a child should be, but so long as they are a healthy weight for the height then that's really all that matters. So after checking his BMI on the NHS website, Squiggle is perfectly in proportion, but still doesn't answer my question! I did some further searching and what I found out about his height at 2 years old made me pause with disbelief though. There is a general rule of thumb that at 2 years old your child is half their adult height. Squiggle was 36 inches tall ( 3 feet ) when he was 2, so that means he could be at least 72 inches or 6 feet tall when he's an adult!

Clothes shopping is becoming tricky because I'm never quite sure what size to buy, do I stick to what fits him now or buy a size or two bigger that will need hems/sleeves rolling up in the short term but will last him a bit longer?
Last night my husband and I decided to buy him a new coat for nursery and spent most of the time disagreeing over the size. Hubby wanted to stick with a 5-6 year old coat which I duly bought and then spent the rest of the evening trying to squeeze Squiggle into it when we got home. I had to take back today and swap it for a larger size ( which I wanted to buy in the first place ), the only size left being for a 9 year old!

Needless to say Mr Homer wasn't happy with the thought of his 'little' boy wearing such a large coat and thought it would look silly on him. It fits perfectly! I tried to explain to him that he shouldn't get hung up on the size but just to go with the flow and buy clothes that fit - speaking from experience here, I have been known to buy clothes 2 or even 3 sizes bigger just because they fit better, doesn't always mean that I am that size. Each manufacturer must have different measurements because no 2 shops have identical sizes.

The only downside I find is that whereas the young and smaller boys clothes have cute designs, the bigger and older boys clothes are more grown up and not cutesy. They don't seem to have the cartoon characters printed on them like George Pig or Jake & The Pirates, Squiggle is still my baby boy and I want to keep him like that for as long as possible because I did miss out on the first 12 months of his life with being in hospital.
I want young childrens clothes and designs but in bigger sizes, is there anyone out there that sells them?

If you spot any whilst out shopping, pop back and let me know please.

No comments:

Post a Comment